Fragile Balance Fragile Balance

Rather nifty

It took me a listen or two, but I really enjoyed this. Like a lot of your work it's the kind of music that doesn't push itself out of the background but makes the feet tap, plus the distant chords way off in the background give it a really good open feeling. The raw, unprocessed sound makes it better, somehow -- I wouldn't expect it to, but it's a refreshing change. I don't think a lot of people on NGA use hardware synthesizers.

The start is indeed a little bit dodgy, since you have occasional tempo which are most noticeable when your synth plays along with the piano. The occasional off-tempo note and the mono-channel sound are obvious complaints, but your soundcard's FUBAR, so I can understand that. I didn't really like the ending, though... it seemed to drop off too soon and the melody went a little haywire. (Was that intended?)

Also re: your sound card issues, Amazon.co.uk seems to have decent prices on the M-Audio you were considering.

...you wouldn't happen to be interested in some sort of collab, would you?

BatesyBates responds:

Yeah, a lot of problems in my studio at the moment :D I haven't been making music too long though, and as you said soundcard FUBAR :P hopefully whenever I finally get this M-Audio, I will be able to address some issues. And yes, I would be interested in a collab, that sounds great! :D

Up and Awake Up and Awake

Sounds pretty good

Sounds pretty good, except it's kinda... panned to the left. <.<

Neat song though. Makes good background music -- kinda mesmerizing.

BatesyBates responds:

Yeah, trust me I have no idea what is up with that. If I use the lead from the synth straight into the pc its only on the left speakers so I ran it through my amplifier into the pc and this is the best I could get. Thanks for the nice comment :D

_/Fly Away\_ _/Fly Away\_

Great

I was going to say I could think of no complaints, because I love the tune, the beat is good, the presentation and clarity are excellent, and it's a beautiful song. The only downside is the Gold Saw and the bell Sytrus presets kinda grate just a bit.

Other than that, really, I can think of no complaints. I 4'd it earlier, when I saw it on the new submissions list, but then I listened to it for a few hours and it's definitely 5-worthy. Excellent job.

ShootingStar responds:

Thanks for the review!!!
I'll keep in mind about the gold saw!

ShootingStar

{dj-N} Buddy {dj-N} Buddy

From a fan

I agree with Nilus. It's sad to say, fella, but I gotta say... your earlier stuff was a lot better. The biggest problem, the way I see it, is... well, it's almost like you abandoned your roots and started to make less and less distinctive, more and more generic tracks that just lost the flair, the style that used to stick right out from everything you made.

With that said, style changes over time, and I'm sure you don't want to keep doing the same thing forever. But your music was different, it wasn't like anything else and it was indeed the shit, and I downloaded basically all of your stuff up through 2008. You don't have to say the same, but never forget where you came from, fella.

Yours,
A fan

Marcia alla Ambiziona Marcia alla Ambiziona

Good song, but...

...but other technical issues really bring it down. The song seems a bit too loud, and a bit too cluttered, especially at 1:40 -- there are just too many notes going on at once, and they lower the quality of the song. Consider lowering the volume and varying the volume of each note a bit like a real piano? And that's inside the bass chords too -- different volumes for each note, instead of all three notes in the chord being the same 'height' in the mix.

Instead of just limiting it I'd recommend lowering the volume a bit and adding a compressor to bring it back up again, but definitely fiddle around and see what works best for you. That's all I really have for now... EffortDog says "good effort, I'm proud of you." :P

Tzu - Calling You Tzu - Calling You

Interesting...

It's not a perfect song, on the outside-there are some rough edges. I think the beat could use some work, but it But there's something in there that makes me nod my head just a bit anyway, and so I downloaded it, and then lyrics starting popping into my head. Want them? ._.''

So let me actually give some detailed feedback for once:

PROS
+4.00 - Catchy
+1.00 - Good mood (Calm)
+1.00 - No volume distortion
+1.00 - Simple and uncluttered

CONS
-1.00 - Simple
-0.50 - Background arp synth just... doesn't fit, imo
-0.50 - Kick and snare feel a little generic
-0.50 - Clap is a little too sharp/too far in front
-0.50 - Repetitive

OVERALL: 4/5
WEIGHTED: 8/10, because it's catchy, and I like it
DOWNLOADED: Of course

SUGGESTIONS: Soften the beat-especially the clap and the snare-and maybe change the arp around a bit? I can't really think of an instrument, or sample, or sound that would work better, but the current one just sounds... a little off, to my ears.

Tzunami responds:

While making it I would have friends over and they would randomly make up some lyrics to go with it, so I left it with a layout as a song, instead of melodies being the "lyrics. I don't mind if you send the lyrics, would be interesting to see what people can come up with.

Thanks for the review.

Vain Star Vain Star

Party on

A titanic, fat, star-shaped spaceship cruises along the edge of the galaxy. Here, verily, is the king of the red light district -- neon lights stud each arm, waves of color rippling across its dented metal skin, and a huge beacon on its face slams out a supernova of light on the beat. The ship shakes at the stomping of 1,000,000 feet and the nodding of 50,000 heads -- music pounding through every deck, all day, all week, for all time, fueling a never-ending party. Even the passing comets and asteroids seem to say, 'damn.'

Anyway, yeah. 5+10. Long live the party.

cycerin responds:

fucking hell yesss

-LS- 2/3 packing my bags -LS- 2/3 packing my bags

HAIL! HAIL! ALL HAIL!

ALL HAIL PACKING MY BAGS, THE NEW FACE OF MUSIC! All creators of sound have knelt before this exalted masterpiece! All nations have adopted a new national anthem!

LastSurviver is the true god of musicians, and Packing My Bags is his prophet! All hail LastSurviver, First-Born of Rhythm, Eldest Son of Rhyme, Master of Tone and Commander of Harmony, Lord of Percussion, and Universally-Worshipped Creator of Bass!

In closing, I was pretty disappointed when I remembered I could only vote zero once.

{dj-N} Perfect Sunset {dj-N} Perfect Sunset

Question.

Is there such a thing as liquid awesome? Do you shoot up daily? Where can I find it?

Beginning was absolutely fantastic... transition to electronic at :45 was a bit harsh, I think, but it smoothed out by the 1-minute mark and settled into being amazing. Granted, I'm not big on the close echo on the piano, and the ending quote didn't quite seem to fit in, but I can't think of a way besides gratuitous 'big and quiet' reverb, maybe a little echo, to help that in.

The first minute makes me want to give up trying to make music. D:

Final Never End Final Never End

Summary?

If you're wondering why this songh has got a bad score, it's probably because of the FL Slayer and generic drum kit. Also, the end needs... work. It just disappears.

I dunno if this was intentional but the song doesn't seem to GO anywhere. It just occasionally repeats itself.

PLEASE. PLEASE. PLEASE GET A REAL GUITARIST.

i.

TaKEitOrLUMPiT responds:

Yeah tru I do play guitar I just dont have recording equipment right now but soon... I will post some electronic music more as time goes by which is much more layered and higher quality.